Teeth whitening is the #1 most common cosmetic treatment requested by patients today. Though regular brushing and flossing can help you achieve healthy looking teeth, they will not necessarily be white in color. Dr. Rita D. Wright lists five factors that can cause healthy teeth to look yellow or discolored.
- Age: Your tooth enamel weakens as you get older and begins to show the yellow layer underneath, which is called dentin. Aggressive brushing can also wear away tooth enamel, so it’s best to brush your teeth in gentle, circular motions and use a soft-bristle toothbrush.
- Tobacco use: The tar and nicotine present in both smoking and chewing tobacco can stain your tooth enamel and cause your teeth to look unhealthy.
- Medications: You may notice your teeth becoming darker as a side effect of the medication you take. High blood pressure medications, antipsychotics, and antihistamines have been known to darken teeth, and doxycycline, tetracycline, and other antibiotics can cause prenatal tooth darkening in babies’ teeth.
- Trauma: When a tooth reacts to an injury in the mouth caused by an accident or a sports-related blow to the face, it may put down more dentin, the yellow layer under the teeth, causing your teeth to look less white.
- Drink: The drinks you consume every day could be turning your teeth dull. Popular drinks such as tea, coffee, and wine have a high concentration of color pigments known as chromogens that, when attached to your tooth enamel, can cause stains.
Professional teeth whitening can help you restore your smile to its original luster; call 703-878-7883 to speak with our team about your teeth whitening options in Woodbridge, Virginia. Our dentist, Dr. Rita D. Wright, would be delighted to provide you with customized teeth whitening treatment!